Iowa State University® Women’s Club began as the Priscilla Club in November 1897. A group of thirteen Iowa State faculty wives who lived on the rural campus formed the club. They met weekly with their children in tow to sew or mend while one of them read aloud scholarly works for their afternoon discussion and to “benefit by the closer association, the opportunity to know each other better, and be available to help the community should the need arise.”
Membership grew quickly and they soon found themselves dividing into small study groups called divisions. No longer a sewing and reading club, but rather a well-organized women’s club, the Priscilla name was no longer appropriate. Thus, in 1916 the club became the Faculty Women’s Club. The club held that name until January 1996 when a new inclusive name, Iowa State University® Women’s Club, was chosen to more accurately reflect the diverse membership of the club.